Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My Android Resources

As I might have mentioned in one of my previous posts this year, I have recently started to learn how to develop applications for Google's Android platform. There are plenty of reasons why one might want to work with Android, but this doesn't represent the scope of my current post.
The scope of this post is for me to present the most important Android web resources that I follow in my learning and development process. There are also other sites that list Android resources out there, such as AndroidSavvy and Android Tapp, but I wanted to add here the list of things I found most useful and helpful, so that I can share my experience with anyone interested in the same subject.
Anyone can do a Google search and get a bunch of Android resources, but not everything you get is useful, or at least not useful for your context so, in most cases, it helps to learn form other people's experiences and use what's proven to be useful for them. The same is the case with my experience, because I also have started by following links from here to there and doing searches and following RSS feeds and in the end not many of the resources I first encountered proved to be valuable to me, but those that did I think are worth sharing, so here it goes...
For Android, mobile technologies news and application reviews I follow mainly 3 sites:

  • Android Guys - they have the latest rumors and news about Android developments and also have reviews of books or Android applications that might prove useful

  • AppVee - "the definitive source for Android app reviews" as they call themselves are a site which review applications found on the Android Market. After all it is good to keep in touch with what is being built and also get inspired from that.

  • MobileCrunch - this is a more general information site about mobile technology, but if you enter the Android game it is good to keep informed about other possible developments. Besides, there are the occasional Android articles here also.


Along with keeping up to date with news, rumors and developments in the Android world, what an Android developer needs is to find technical information and tutorials on the a fore mentioned subject. Unfortunately, aside of the official Android site where you can find all sorts of tutorials, examples and documentation, and where you should start your quest for learning, the technical blogs and resources for the Android platform seem a bit scarce to me, but perhaps I did not look enough. I will add here the list of sites I find useful when working on Android and I encourage anyone who works on the platform, to add their technical resources in the comments below.

  • Android Developers Google Group - with an average of 125 new posts a day, this is the most important resource you could harness if you need some quick information when you get stuck with a problem. The people in the group are very responsive and they can give you lots of advice. Also, there is a lot of information in the group archives, so it is most likely you will find an answer to your problem before you even need to ask.

  • Android Developers Blog - this is the official Andorid Developers blog and a hub for lots of tips and tutorials about the Android platform. It also contains links to other resources for developers, so be sure to give it a look.

  • Android JavaDoc - a place where you can find the javadocs we all come to treasure and love for the Android SDK releases.

  • Learning Android - a blog containing up to date Android tutorials.


This is it for now, but feel free to add your resources in the comments and also let me know if you found these resources useful.

5 comments:

Scott Webster said...

Thanks for the mention! We're always glad to help out whenever and wherever we can.

Scott Webster,
Editor of AndroidGuys

Mihai Campean said...

Hi Scott, don't mention it. I find the content you guys provide very useful so the least I could do is to share this with others.
Keep the good stuff coming!
Mihai

Anonymous said...

amazing stuff thanx :)

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently talking about how technology has become so integrated in our day to day lives. Reading this post makes me think back to that debate we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as memory gets less expensive, the possibility of uploading our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I daydream about every once in a while.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.livejournal.com/491.html]R4i[/url] DS SeKu)

Anonymous said...

Brim over I agree but I contemplate the post should secure more info then it has.

Playing for Change