Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Looks like someone's been reading my entries

This June I wrote an article titled "First Things I Would do as Microsoft's CEO" in which I said that I would pretty much Open Source all of Microsoft's products as soon as I would get accommodated :). Why am I bringing this up now? Because yesterday while I was quietly looking on dzone's new links I found a link to an article with the title "Why Microsoft is Going Open Source" on the Linux Journal site, so I followed the link curious to see what was all the fuss about.

The subject of the article is about Microsoft's new site on Open Source supported by Bill Hilf and his OSLab and about the submissions of some of Microsoft's Shared Source licenses to the OSI for approval as official Open Source licenses. The article also wonders about Microsoft's real reasons for doing this and I must say that even though their initiative is commendable, I am quite skeptical about their reasons also.

As Linus Torvalds so elegantly explains it in his interview published at linux.com, Open Source is not motivated by altruist reasons, but by the constant struggle of an individual to improve his/her own standing. In doing so, and contributing their work back to the community, they manage the bring the whole community a step forward, so even though its motivation comes form selfishness, in the end it manages to help everybody else too, and that is the beauty of the whole concept.

This being said, I intend to keep an eye out to see how Microsoft's initiative will play out and if their actions will indeed be made to also help the community or they will just be a completely selfish act. I hope it all plays out for the best.

2 comments:

John Paul said...

lucky to have you man!

Mihai Campean said...

Indeed, you may touch me for wisdom +2 :)).

Playing for Change